Sunday, August 3, 2014

Interview with Brooke Williams


Meet Brooke Williams



Interview: 


What inspired you to write your first book?
I had an idea about writing a book with a character in a coma for a long time. I didn’t really know what that would entail or what the book would even be about beyond that. When the introduction to the book came to me one day, I was inspired to write it down. After that, I had to know what happened. There was no stopping it after that and “Someone Always Loved You” was born.

Do you listen to music or watch TV when you write?

I used to but now, I like peace and quiet. I think it’s largely because all day everyday is total chaos with my two young girls. I write when they are napping and it’s the only “quiet” I get all day. Plus I can hear music and other noise through their monitors so any more noise is just overkill!

How did you decide on the titles of your books?

“Someone Always Loved You” was actually a huge struggle for me. I took suggestions from family members for weeks. I wanted to call it something like “Blood is Thicker than Water” or something equally strange that really didn’t make sense for what it was. All of my other books, however, I have had the title in mind before I’ve started writing it. Usually if I don’t have the title up front, it’s hard to come up with it later.


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Oo, good question! I have to pick just one? Richard Paul Evans is one of my favorites and I feel like his writing has inspired me plenty. I don’t feel like my style is like his, but if I could be like another writer, I certainly wouldn’t mind being compared to him!


Which stage of the writing/editing process is the most challenging for you?

Editing!!! I don’t particularly like reading my own stuff…at least not with a fine toothcomb. I read what I meant and not what I said and it’s hard for me to be hyper critical about what I put out there. Editing it tedious and strenuous and so un-fun compared to the writing portion!!


Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your work?

First and foremost, I’m the mother of two young girls, ages 5 and 18 months. I spend all day every day with them other than “nap” time. My youngest still naps, but the oldest does not. I’ve been strict about a quiet time for her and it’s been my saving grace. Without it, I would never have time to write a word! In my former life, I was a radio announcer/producer/script writer. It was a fun career in many ways, but I prefer what I’m doing now. Someday, I hope to make writing a more full time thing once my girls are in school.


If you could sit down and chat with just one of your characters, which one would it be and what would you ask them?

I’d love to chat with several of them, actually. Jordan from “Someone Always Loved You” is so peaceful and such a selfless soul. I think I could learn a lot from her. Kate Covington in my upcoming novella “Wrong Place, Right Time” has a lot in common with me in her former career as a TV traffic reporter. Though she was in it longer than my 5 months…


Do you have any advice for other writers out there?

Don’t give up. “Making it” in the industry is a struggle. IF you want to get published, you might feel like finding the right avenue is like finding a needle in a haystack. Let me tell you, if you don’t look for that needle, you’ll NEVER find it! It’s in there! Dig deep enough and you’ll run across the right thing.


Who have been your biggest cheerleaders during your writing process? Who are the ones you have to share your news with, about your books, immediately?

My mom is at the top of the list. After I wrote “Someone Always Loved You” she wanted a sequel…like yesterday! She’s read about everything I’ve written and she always has positive things to say and encourage me with. My friend Andrea, a fellow writer with a book coming out in October (The 20th Christmas, check it out!) is very like-minded about writing. She’s very encouraging and I know she really GETS it, so it’s always fun to compare notes, triumphs, and disappointments with her.



BIO:

Brooke Williams bio

Brooke Williams is an award-winning author and freelance writer. She began her career in radio, both on the air and behind the scenes. She did a brief stint in TV news and then took on her most challenging job as a stay at home mom. During the few quiet hours in her day, Brooke writes articles for a number of clients as well as fiction creations such as “Someone Always Loved You.” Brooke has also written “Beyond the Bars,” a thriller, “God in the Kitchen,” a Christian novel, and “Taxi Delivery,” a Christian Romance. Brooke looks forward to the December 9th release of “Wrong Place, Right Time,” a romantic comedy and the February 2015 release of “Accept this Dandelion” inspired by the Bachelor TV show. Brooke has been married to her husband Sean since 2002 and has two daughters, Kaelyn and Sadie.



Links:


Website:

Facebook:

Goodreads:

Someone Always Loved You amazon link:

Email:  authorbrookewilliams@gmail.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment